Respiratory therapist Job Responsibilities:
- Restores patient’s pulmonary function, alleviates pain, supports life by planning and administering medically prescribed respiratory therapy.
- Meets patient’s goals and needs and provided quality care by conducting pulmonary function assessments and testing, interpreting evaluations and test results, and determining respiratory therapy treatment plans in consultation with physicians and by prescription
- Helps patient accomplish treatment plan and supports life by administering inhalants, operating mechanical ventilators, therapeutic gas administration apparatus, environments control systems, and aerosol generators.
- Administers respiratory therapy treatment be performing bronchopulmonary drainage, assisting with breathing exercises and monitoring physiological responses to therapy, such as vital signs, arterial blood gas, blood chemistry changes, pulse oximetry, end tidal carbon dioxide measurements.
- Evaluates effects of respiratory therapy treatment plan by observing, noting, and evaluation patient’s progress and recommending adjustments and modifications.
- Completes discharge planning by consulting with physicians, nurses and other healthcare providers; contributing to patient care conferences.
- Assure continuation of therapeutic plan following discharge by designing home exercise programs and instructing patients, families, ad caregivers in home exercise programs.
- Recommends and/or provides assistive equipment and outpatient of home health follow up programs.
- Documents patient care services by charting in the patient and department records.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects hospital operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedure, rule and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection control policies and protocols.
- Develops respiratory therapy staff by providing information and developing and conducting in-service training programs.
Respiratory Therapist Qualification/Skills:
- Bedside manner
- Physiological knowledge
- Infection control
- Health promotion and maintenance
- Creating a safe, effective environment
- Informing others
- Verbal communication
- Medical Teamwork
- Procedural skills
- People skills
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- Associate’s Degree with major in Respirator therapy
- 3 plus years of adult ICU experience
- Valid state Respiratory Therapist license
- Registered Respiratory Therapist or Certified Respiratory Therapist w 10+ years of ICU Experience
- Current BLS for Healthcare Providers CPR