Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN)
DEPARTMENT: Nursing Service
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Director of Nursing, House Supervisor, Charge Nurse, Registered Nurse
JOB SUMMARY: Assists the professional nursing staff in providing maximum patient care, assessment, planning implementation and evaluation of each assigned patient. Under supervision gives direct and indirect patient care as assigned.
- Utilizing the nursing process, completes a basic physical and psychosocial assessment of patients and takes nursing histories to provide a basis for development of patient care plans under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse.
- Knows actions, indications, contraindications, precautions, adverse reactions, dosage and route of administration on all drugs before administering to patient and verifies against the medication administration record for accuracy on each shift and on an on-going basis.
- Assesses patients at the beginning of shift for acuity of patient needs/problems and establishes priority in which work activities are consistently completed by the end of the shift.
- Notifies Registered Nurse, Charge Nurse, Supervisor and/or physicians of emergency situations promptly.
- Recognizes variance of vital signs and assessments that should be reported to the Registered Nurse, Charge Nurse, Supervisor and/or physician in a timely manner and reports them promptly.
- Functions proficiently in unity and team nursing modalities.
- Consistently checks for new patients orders throughout the shift and implements them in an appropriate time frame.
- Participates in the health care educational needs for the client, family, and others with regard to patient care needs, disease prevention and health maintenance measures.
- Assists the Registered Nurse in the developing and implementing of an individualized teaching and discharge plan at admission and throughout hospitalization.
- Maintains accurate and timely records according to hospital policy and procedure.
- Maintains confidentiality while working with confidential matters on a daily basis.
- Provides service direct to patients while maintaining a positive patient relations atmosphere.
- Interacts with patients, family members, Nursing Staff, Medical Staff, and other department personnel on a continuous basis.
- Follows the safety and infection control guidelines and policies of the hospital.
- a) Education: Graduate of an accredited School of Vocational Nursing
- b) Personal Job Related Skills: Effective oral and written communication skills.
- c) Licensure, Registry or Certification: Licensed Vocational Nurse currently
licensed by the state of Texas and BCLS.
- d) Prior Work Experience: One year of Licensed Vocational Nursing preferred.
- e) Technical Training: Current CPR certification. IV therapy course preferred.
- f) Physical and Mental Requirements:Duties of the position require extended
periods of standing, walking, bending, stooping, twisting, reaching and lifting
up to 50 pounds. Occasionally heavy lifting when moving patients who
may suddenly become weak, helpless or combative. Dealing with stressful situations.
The staff member must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span. Will possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient’s status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’s requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs. Is able to provide the care needed as described in the unit’s/area’s/department’s policies and procedures.
AGES SPECIFIC TO HOSPITAL ADMISSIONS
Newborn Birth-1month Adolescent/Teenager 13yrs-17yrs
Infant 1month-1yr Young Adult 18yrs-34yrs
Toddler 2yrs-3yrs Middle Adult 35yrs-50yrs
Preschool 4yrs-5yrs Mature Adult 51yrs-69yrs
School Age 6yrs-12yrs Geriatric Adult 70yrs+
Employee will care for patients of all cultural and religious backgrounds. In view of the seasonal influx of people from all over the world, be prepared to care for patients of diverse cultural and/or religious backgrounds.
ETHICS AND COMPLIANCE
Employee performs within the prescribed limits of the hospital’s/department’s Ethics and Compliance Policies. Is responsible to detect, observe, and report compliance variances to their immediate supervisor, or upward through the chain of command.
Effective communication skills. Considerable knowledge of general nursing theories and practices within the scope of licensed practical nursing. Ability to prioritize multiple demands and meet deadlines in a timely manner. Ability to relate, function and react appropriately in a variety of situations and respond to patients, families and other staff members.
Clean well lighted, heated and air-conditioned area. Exposure to unpleasant sights, smells, infectious diseases, blood and body fluids, and occasionally to radiation possible. Work schedule is 12 hours shifts (7a-7p & 7p-7a). Full time 32-40 every week. Overtime dependent upon need of department. Holiday and weekend work required.
Prolonged extensive or considerable standing and walking. Frequently required to use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, and tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; bend, stoop, kneel or crouch; talk and hear and smell. Visual abilities required include close vision, depth perception ability to adjust focus and determine color.